After nearly two years of renovation, the nineteenth-century Stags’ Leap Winery Manor House officially reopened on Sunday, July 17th. The event was marked by a ribbon-cutting ceremony with Winemaker and General Manager, Christophe Paubert.
Built in 1892 with rock from a nearby quarry, the two-story, castle-like stone structure has been the grand focal point of the Stags’ Leap property for more than 120 years. It lies down a long, partly one-way lane under majestic trees underneath the Stags Leap Palisades east of the Silverado Trail.
The renovation project focused on stabilising the house’s historic architecture, which was constructed by the estate’s founders, Horace and Minnie Mizner Chase, the Manor House is the grand focal point of the Stags’ Leap property.
The interior was fully remodeled to rejuvenate the ornate historic spaces that have hosted guests for over 100 years. The Victorian-era mansion features magnificent coffered redwood ceilings and a stained glass window in the main dining room, adorned with the Chase family coat of arms, which includes the motto ‘Ne Cede Malis,’ derived from Virgil’s Aeneid meaning, “Never give into misfortune”. The exterior is no less dramatic with its monumental rusticated stone architecture accentuated by an eye-catching turreted corner tower.